Monday, July 2, 2012

New Student Introduction

We're excited to introduce to you some of our new students that will be joining us for the 2012-13 school year. Today's featured student is Chris Kight, who is a new Access student from Syracuse, New York.


Hi there!

I'm Chris Kight. I am Director of Information Technology for a hotel management company headquartered out of Syracuse, NY. Before that I spent my working years in the U.S. Navy, mostly involved with computers. I've lived along both American coasts, as well as in Italy and Japan.

I grew up Baptist, and spent some time with a Buddhist congregation while in Tokyo, but have been involved with Unitarian Universalists and Quakers for more than twenty years now. As a child, my favorite part of the Bible was Genesis-Exodus and the other "Histories"; then it was the Gospels and Epistles; now it's the "Wisdom" books - I'm wondering when the Prophets will capture my attention.

A few of the movies I enjoyed most this past year include: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; Hugo; and Crazy, Stupid, Love. My favorite reads have included: The Magician King; Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter; The Difference Engine. I'm currently reading Kierkegaard's Spiritual Writings and Silence, by Endo. My favorite listens are all over the map: The Carolina Chocolate Drops; The Welcome Wagon; Jack White; The Black Keys; Zoe Keating; and Buke and Gass. I would feel very accomplished if I took the time to learn to play blues on the Ukelele. Interesting local groups I enjoy hanging out with include those for Gaelic Football, Roller Derby, and Community Shakespeare.

I have two dogs, both rescues: a greyhound and a beagle/puggle mix. My second of three sons just graduated high school and is moving to Seattle for a year. The oldest leaves in December for the Peace Corps. The youngest lives in Florida with his mother. After years of trying to make all sorts of very bad relationships "work", I'm now engaged to the best friend I've ever had, ever. 

Finally, being able to formally study at the Earlham School of Religion is pretty much the icing on the cake that this past year of my life has been. I am thrilled to be in the M.A. Access program and look forward to taking classes with each of you.

In Friendship,

Chris
Welcome Chris! We'll be sharing more new student profiles in upcoming posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment