Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Student couples at ESR, Part I: Eva Abbott and Van Temple

In recent years, the ESR community has been blessed with the addition of several couples who have decided to pursue seminary studies together. In this series, we will profile our current couples-in-residence. Below we feature Eva Abbott (left in the photo) and Van Temple: 



When I (Eva) started working in pastoral care in 2012, I quickly realized I needed more knowledge and training to do it effectively. After taking two courses on-line through ESR, I applied for and was awarded a one year scholarship to continue my studies. Van was nearing the end of a four-year effort to create an affordable housing organization in New Orleans and needed a sabbatical for rest and discernment. Moving to Richmond and joining the ESR community have revitalized, deepened and directed our passion for justice. I’ve found academic study both exhilarating and exhausting, and Van has been thrilled to audit several ESR writing classes. We are both very grateful for the welcome and guidance from professors, administration and staff.


Professionally, Van has restarted his land trust consultant business, and I will be exploring ministry direction in my upcoming 9-month internship. I’m in conversation about a chaplaincy internship at the Veteran’s Hospital in Cincinnati and an advocacy position with a local nonprofit committed to community well-being and justice. Both of us have also gotten active in the local Indivisible resistance group and are watching, with wonder, something new emerging in us and in the community.

You can read the 2nd post in this series, on Elizabeth and John Edminster, here: http://esrquaker.blogspot.com/2017/03/student-couples-at-esr-part-ii.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment